Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fun Game...

Zoe over at Make It Cafty is playing a game. Looks like fun so thought I would join in and play. Have no idea what any of those saying mean.. So I'm going to make mine up. Who knows maybe I'll get a couple right.

Here's her post:


Happy Australia Day to my fellow Aussies!
I have been thinking about how to celebrate this day with all my friends from around the world and after a number of ideas were tossed out the window I finally thought up a hair brain idea that could be a bit of fun!
As some of you may know, us Aussies have quite a way with words. From an outsiders view we may seem a little lazy in the way we can’t really be bothered finishing words correctly.
Instead of saying “Lipstick’ we say ‘Lippy’, instead of saying “Barbecue”, we’ll throw it on the “Barbie”! Not only do we like to shorten words, our pioneers (from shearers, drovers and swagman many years ago)  have coined some ridiculously funny and most often very colourful phrases and words, many of which are still in use today!
So I thought it could be a little bit of fun to share some of our ‘slang’ with you today and play a game!
I have picked out a few words and phrases to share with you, which has been quite difficult as there are so many great ones (plus I tried hard to leave out the very colourful terms… heehee). Glance over them, and then read on for the details of how to play the game!
1. You little Ripper        1) Me: Paper Crafter who like's Paper Tearing...
2. Well I’ll be buggered!          2)  Me: Amazing...
3. Crikey                      3) Me: Holy Shit...
4. Fair dinkum                 4) Me: Very small donut...
5. On a good wicket        5) Me: On a Good Day (like a day off from work)...
6. Make a proper galah of yourself      6) Me: Make a fool of yourself...
7. She’ll be apples   7) Me: No idea hopefully it involves me getting Apple Pie...
8. Ridgie Didge         8) Me: The place I want to put ugly projects...   
9. Buggerlugs     9) Me: Someone who helps carry my craft purchases home...
10. Give it a burl             10) Me: Give it a try...
11. Bob’s yer uncle        11) Me: I don't have a Bob?..
12. Go like the clappers    12) Me: Run as fast as you can to the craft store.
13. Ningnong        13) Me: Shit I missed the sale at the craft store....
14. Good Onya!   14) Me: Good day I made it to the sale at the craft store..
15. Rough end of the stick    15) Me: Something my EX-husband deserves a few times..

So what’s the game?
Well, I am hoping you had a chuckle and thought, “What on earth do these mean?”
That’s what I want you to tell me!
  1. Pick one or two or all of them if you are having fun, and make up your own dictionary meaning for them.
    You can of course use google to find out what they do mean, and that may help you get a little more creative but I do think it would be even funnier if you made up your own meanings without knowing the ‘Aussie meaning’ first. heehee
  2. Create a post on your blog (you can add it within a post you will already be writing if you like) and share your Aussie Slang interpretation.
  3. Make sure you link back to this post so that others can come play too (plus, it will help to explain what you are up to!)
  4. Then come back here and add a link to your post in the linky below so we can all come on over for a laugh or two!
You don’t have to be funny or creative to join in! Just share with us your interpretation of the phrase or word!
There will be Winners of course!!
A random winner will be drawn who will receive a $50 voucher to spend on any of theMake it Crafty brand products.
And I will also be selecting a few that have me in stitches to win some random prizes of my choice!
You can enter up to THREE times. BUT each entry must be on a new post and use different words or phrases from the selection above.
Entries will close February 26th and I will announce the winners along with the ‘actual’ Aussie meanings shortly after.
And of course Aussies can enter too!
I hope you will join me for a few laughs to celebrate Australia Day with the good old Aussie Spirit of cheer and fun!
And I wouldn’t be a True Blue Aussie if I didn’t finish off with:
Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!!

Ok my answers are silly, but it was fun. Maybe you can play along too. Go check it out.

1 comment:

Zoe said...

Oh Heather you might have thought your answers w2ere silly but surely the questions were sillier! hahaa! You actually did a great job with some of them and certainly had me laughing! Thanks for playing along and having a few laughs! hugs xxoo